An Ohio man has admitted laundering about $3.4 million for a Russia-linked healthcare fraud ring tied to Operation Gold Rush, a sprawling scheme that stole from Medicare and private insurers and has produced dozens of federal charges.
Eldar Zarbavel, 45, of Pepper Pike, Ohio, pleaded guilty this week to laundering roughly $3.4 million in proceeds from a transnational criminal organization that orchestrated the largest healthcare fraud case the Department of Justice has ever pursued. Court filings identify the operation as the one uncovered by Operation Gold Rush and describe a Russia-based network that ran multi-billion-dollar schemes targeting Medicare and private insurers. The Justice Department says Zarbavel was a money launderer working on behalf of that foreign-based group.
The fraud ring reportedly submitted massive volumes of false claims and used nominee owners and shell companies to hide true ownership and control. Prosecutors allege the group exploited legitimate-looking insurance reimbursements to slip dirty money into the U.S. financial system and then move it offshore. So far, 35 people have been charged in connection with the takedown, and Zarbavel is the 16th person convicted in the probe.
According to court documents, the organization used a suite of tactics to beat bank controls, including false sale paperwork and forged corporate registrations that made nominee owners appear to own durable medical equipment companies. Those sham documents let the network open accounts that received Medicare and insurer reimbursements, making fraud proceeds look like clean income. From there, funds were siphoned to shell companies and transferred to overseas banks.
Zarbavel is accused of opening accounts in Northeast Ohio for Royce Medical Supply LLC, a Florida-based durable medical equipment company that the group used as a conduit. Between July 2022 and July 2024, the organization allegedly submitted about $1.42 billion in false and fraudulent claims to Medicare and other health insurers through that DME operation. While many claims were suspended by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, prosecutors say a portion still paid out and was laundered through the U.S. banking system.
The Justice Department says that between June and July 2024, at the direction of the organization, Zarbavel facilitated deposits, transfers, and withdrawals totaling about $3.4 million in fraud proceeds. He pleaded guilty to a single count of money laundering and is scheduled to be sentenced on Dec. 16. He faces a statutory maximum of 20 years in prison, with the actual sentence to be set by a federal judge after consideration of the Sentencing Guidelines and other factors.
The announcement of the guilty plea came from Assistant Attorney General Colin M. McDonald of the National Fraud Enforcement Division, Miranda L. Bennett, Acting Deputy Inspector General for Investigations at HHS-OIG, and Special Agent in Charge Jennifer Runyan of the FBI Detroit Field Office. HHS-OIG and the FBI continue to investigate, and prosecutors from the Criminal Division’s Fraud Section—Assistant Chief Shankar Ramamurthy, Acting Assistant Chief Sara E. Porter, and Trial Attorneys Brant Cook and Leonid Sandlar—are handling the case in court.
The Department of Justice established the National Fraud Enforcement Division on April 7 to consolidate and sharpen federal efforts against large-scale fraud schemes. That new focus is tied directly to the administration’s push to fight fraud, waste, and abuse in federal benefit programs through the President’s Task Force to Eliminate Fraud, chaired by Vice President J.D. Vance. For Republicans, the message is clear: ramped-up enforcement and coordination across agencies are central to protecting taxpayers.
The Health Care Fraud Strike Force Program, now made up of nine strike forces around the country, has been active for years and has charged more than 6,200 defendants who billed federal healthcare programs and private insurers more than $45 billion since 2007. Alongside criminal prosecutions, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and HHS-OIG say they are taking administrative steps to hold providers and intermediaries accountable for involvement in these schemes. That combined civil and criminal approach is intended to choke off the channels fraudsters use to turn stolen reimbursements into usable cash.
Editor’s Note: Do you enjoy Townhall’s conservative reporting that takes on the radical Left and woke media? Support our work so that we can continue to bring you the truth.
Join Townhall VIP and use promo code FIGHT to receive 60% off your membership.




