On Monday, a lawsuit was filed against a yoga studio for a whopping $5 million. Their crime? Misgendering a transgender client and not allowing her to use the women’s locker room since “she” is actually a man.
The lawsuit against Chelsea Traditional Hot Yoga refers to the plaintiff as “Ali Miles a/k/a Dylan Miles.” I wonder how upset he/she is to have to use the legal, male name on the lawsuit.
Here’s the kicker, Miles also has a long, disturbing criminal record….yet he thinks he should be allowed to use the restroom with women? Yikes.
En Volve reports:
Management informed Miles that he would not be permitted to use the women’s facilities. However, after attending the yoga class, Miles proceeded to enter first the restroom, and then the women’s locker room. At this point, the suit states, “female patrons complained and yelled at Miles about Miles’ presence and use of the single-sex locker room and bathroom labelled Women, and they demanded Miles leave and cease using the facilities.”
He then alleges that while “feeling shame, humiliation, and frustration,” he was escorted to the facilities designated for men, and was therefore “forced to use a locker room and bathroom that was not most closely aligned with Miles’ gender.”
Miles believes he is entitled to financial compensation “in an amount to be determined at trial … not expected to be less than $5,000,000 … based upon their willful, extreme, wrongful, and outrageous conduct,” the court filing reads.
The lawsuit asserts, “This is a civil action for monetary damages, and injunctive relief, brought by Plaintiff Dylan Miles to redress discriminationand harassment on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.CHELSEA TRADITIONAL HOT YOGA LLC d/b/a HOT YOGA CHELSEA NYC, and its principals, owners, employees, MONIQUE FLORIO, NEIL COPPER deprived Plaintiff of his civil rights because he is gay, undergoing a gender transition, and because Miles does not conform to CHELSEA TRADITIONAL HOT YOGA LLC d/b/a HOT YOGA CHELSEA NYC, and its principals, owners, employees, MONIQUE FLORIO, NEIL COPPER gender–based preferences, expectations, or stereotypes about how a man/woman should dress and conduct himself/herself.”
The complaint specifies:
9. Miles is an LGBTQIA+ individual, who was born with male genitalia butidentifies
10. Miles is a male–to–female transgender woman.
11. Miles wears women’s clothing and in all appearance expresses as a person of the
12. Miles is in the process of transitioning into woman through various medical
treatments and hormone therapies.
13. On or about May 4, 2023, at 4:00 pm, Miles appeared at YOGA to participate in a
5 pm yoga class.
14. YOGA have did not have single–occupancy restrooms.
15. YOGA did not have single–occupancy locker rooms.
16. Miles sat down with the manager and owner and specifically told the manager about
Miles’ gender status, and informed that Miles most closely aligned with female gender identity and that Miles intended to and wished to use a private non–gender specific restroom and locker
17. Defendant informed Miles that YOGA had no non–gender specific bathrooms and
had no non–gender specific locker room.
23. Miles was informed by YOGA which specifically confirmed that MILEScould not
use the woman’s bathroom/locker room.
26. Miles attended the yoga class and when the class was completed Mileswent into
the single–sex bathroom labelled Women.
27. Miles attended the yoga class and when the class was completed Miles went into
the single–sex locker room labelled Women.
28. Miles began using the public accommodation and facilities in the single–sex locker
room labelled Women.
29. Female patrons of YOGA complained and yelled at Miles about Miles’presence
and use of the single–sex locker room and bathroom labelled Women, and they demanded Miles
leave and cease using the facilities.
30. Female patrons of YOGA complained to YOGA about Miles’ presence and use of
the single–sex locker room and bathroom labelled Women and they demanded Miles leave and
cease using the facilities.
33. YOGA refused to allow Miles to utilize the single–gender locker room and
bathroom, most closely aligned with Mile’s gender.
39. This incident caused a stir in YOGA and negative attention was drawn to Miles
from other YOGA patrons.
40. Feeling shame, humiliation, and frustration, Miles, against Miles wishes and intent
ceased using the single–gender locker room and bathroom, most closely aligned with Mile’s
41. Miles was escorted out of the single–gender locker room and bathroomlabelled
Women, which was most closely aligned with Mile’s gender.
They go on to cite human rights statues, including one that claims, “Some people, including customers, other program participants, tenants, or employees, may object to sharing a facility or participating in a program with a transgender, non– binary, or gender non–conforming person. Such objections are not a lawful reason to deny access to that transgender, non–binary, or gender non–conforming person.“
Shockingly enough, that part of the law also apparently reads, “Aiding and abetting. It shall be an unlawful discriminatory practice for any person to aid, abet, incite, compel or coerce the doing of any of the acts forbidden under this chapter, or to attempt to do so.“
Imagine that. If you misgender someone now, or even happen to be a bystander when someone else misgenders a transgender person, you could be sued.
Welcome to liberal, Nazi America.